Thursday, June 30, 2011

Alpha XX or Alpha XXX

Whenever I make evident my strong preference for Sony cameras, I'm often asked questions about the A55 and the non-moveable mirror technology, and at some point I mention that these cameras have an electronic, not optical, viewfinder.

Frankly, I'm not at ease on this subject; I know the difference between a good (optical) viewfinder and a normal one, so I'm a bit skeptical about electronic viewfinders.
They have well known weak points, but also a very good strong point: the in-camera computer can alter the image at will, superimposing useful information, or even changing it completely.
And this is not entirely theoretical, as this article suggests:
The prototype 500mm f/4 G lens on show at the Sony stand at CES features a Direct Manual Focus (DMF) control that, when pressed, presents the user with a 15x magnified view of the scene to be photographed, to assist in ensuring focus is accurately placed. This is a feature that can only be possible in cameras designed with electronic viewfinders, so its incorporation in a professional lens such as this suggests that all future Sony Alpha cameras, including the replacement for the A900, with be designed as SLT models with electronic viewfinders. 

No comments:

Post a Comment